Last updated: 11th November 2021.
We know that you care how information about you is used and shared, and we appreciate your trust that we will do so carefully and sensibly. This Privacy Notice describes how Afrikonet.sl and its affiliates (collectively “Afrikonet”) collect and process your personal information through Afrikonet websites, devices, products, services, online and physical stores, and applications that reference this Privacy Notice (together “Afrikonet Services”). By using Afrikonet Services, you are consenting to the practices described in this Privacy Notice.
- What Personal Information About Customers Does Afrikonet Collect?
- For What Purposes Does Afrikonet Use Your Personal Information?
- What About Cookies and Other Identifiers?
- Does Afrikonet Share Your Personal Information?
- How Secure Is Information About Me?
- What About Advertising?
- What Information Can I Access?
- What Choices Do I Have?
- Are Children Allowed to Use Afrikonet Services?
- Sierra Leone Consumer Privacy Act
- Conditions of Use, Notices, and Revisions
- Related Practices and Information
- Examples of Information Collected
What Personal Information About Customers Does Afrikonet Collect?
We collect your personal information in order to provide and continually improve our products and services.
Here are the types of personal information we collect:
- Information You Give Us:We receive and store any information you provide in relation to Afrikonet Services. Scroll down to see examples of what we collect. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our Afrikonet Services.
- Automatic Information:We automatically collect and store certain types of information about your use of Afrikonet Services, including information about your interaction with content and services available through Afrikonet Services. Like many websites, we use “cookies” and other unique identifiers, and we obtain certain types of information when your web browser or device accesses Afrikonet Services and other content served by or on behalf of Afrikonet on other websites. Scroll down to see examples of what we collect.
- Information from Other Sources:We might receive information about you from other sources, such as updated delivery and address information from our carriers, which we use to correct our records and deliver your next purchase more easily. Click Scroll down to see additional examples of the information we receive.
For What Purposes Does Afrikonet Use Your Personal Information?
We use your personal information to operate, provide, develop, and improve the products and services that we offer our customers. These purposes include:
- Purchase and delivery of products and services.We use your personal information to take and handle orders, deliver products and services, process payments, and communicate with you about orders, products and services, and promotional offers.
- Provide, troubleshoot, and improve Afrikonet Services.We use your personal information to provide functionality, analyze performance, fix errors, and improve the usability and effectiveness of the Afrikonet Services.
- Recommendations and personalization.We use your personal information to recommend features, products, and services that might be of interest to you, identify your preferences, and personalize your experience with Afrikonet Services.
- Provide voice, image and camera services.When you use our voice, image and camera services, we may use your voice input, images, videos, and other personal information to respond to your requests, provide the requested service to you, and improve our services.
- Comply with legal obligations.In certain cases, we collect and use your personal information to comply with laws. For instance, we collect from vendor information regarding proof of business registration, place of establishment and bank account information for identity verification and other purposes.
- Communicate with you.We use your personal information to communicate with you in relation to Afrikonet Services via different channels (e.g., by phone, email, chat).
- We use your personal information to display interest-based ads for features, products, and services that might be of interest to you. We do not use information that personally identifies you to display interest-based ads.
- Fraud Prevention and Credit Risks.We use personal information to prevent and detect fraud and abuse in order to protect the security of our customers, Afrikonet, and others. We may also use scoring methods to assess and manage credit risks.
What About Cookies and Other Identifiers?
Does Afrikonet Share Your Personal Information?
Information about our customers is an important part of our business, and we are not in the business of selling our customers’ personal information to others. We share customers’ personal information only as described below and with subsidiaries Afrikonet.sl, controls that either are subject to this Privacy Notice or follow practices at least as protective as those described in this Privacy Notice.
- Transactions involving Third Parties:We make available to you services, products, applications, or skills provided by third parties for use on or through Afrikonet Services. For example, you can order products from third parties through our stores, download applications from third-party application providers from our platform, and enable third-party skills through our AI services. We also offer services or sell product lines jointly with third-party businesses. You can tell when a third party is involved in your transactions, and we share customers’ personal information related to those transactions with that third party.
- Third-Party Service Providers:We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include fulfilling orders for products or services, delivering packages, sending postal mail and email, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, providing search results and links (including paid listings and links), processing payments, transmitting content, scoring, assessing and managing credit risk, and providing customer service. These third-party service providers have access to personal information needed to perform their functions but may not use it for other purposes.
- Business Transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy other businesses or services. In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing Privacy Notice (unless, of course, the customer consents otherwise). Also, in the unlikely event that Afrikonet or substantially all of its assets are acquired, customer information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
- Protection of Afrikonet and Others:We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law; enforce or apply our Conditions of Use and other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of Afrikonet, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
How Secure Is Information About Me?
We design our systems with your security and privacy in mind.
- We work to protect the security of your personal information during transmission by using encryption protocols and software.
- We follow the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) when handling credit card data.
- We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage, and disclosure of customer personal information. Our security procedures mean that we may ask to verify your identity before we disclose personal information to you.
- It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computers, devices, and applications. We recommend using a unique password for your Afrikonet account that is not used for other online accounts. Be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer.
What About Advertising?
- Third-Party Advertisers and Links to Other Websites:Afrikonet Services may include third-party advertising and links to other websites and apps. Third-party advertising partners may collect information about you when you interact with their content, advertising, and services.
What Information Can I Access?
You can access your information, including your name, address, payment options, profile information, membership, settings, and purchase history in the “Your Account” section of the website. Click Scroll down for a list of examples that you can access.
What Choices Do I Have?
If you have any questions as to how we collect and use your personal information, please contact us.
- As described above, you can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of the Afrikonet Services.
- You can add or update certain information on pages such as those referenced in What Information Can I Access below.
- If you do not want to receive email or other communications from us, please adjust your contact us if you don’t want to receive in-app notifications from us, please select “No” on the pop-up screen.
- If you want to browse our websites without linking the browsing history to your account, you may do so by logging out of your account here and blocking cookies on your browser.
- If you are a vendor, you can add or update certain information on your account by accessing your Account.
- If you are a buyer, you can add or update certain information on your account by accessing your Account.
In addition, to the extent required by applicable law, you may have the right to request access to or delete your personal information. If you wish to do any of these things, please contact us. Depending on your data choices, certain services may be limited or unavailable.
Are Children Allowed to Use Afrikonet Services?
Afrikonet does not sell products for purchase by children. We facilitate the sale of children’s products for purchase by adults. If you are under 18, you may use Afrikonet Services only with the involvement of a parent or guardian. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 without the consent of the child’s parent or guardian.
Sierra Leone Consumer Privacy Act
Click here to read additional disclosures required under the Sierra Leone Consumer Privacy Act.
Conditions of Use, Notices, and Revisions
If you choose to use Afrikonet Services, your use and any dispute over privacy is subject to this Notice and our Conditions of Use, including limitations on damages, resolution of disputes, and application of the law of the Republic of Sierra Leone. If you have any concern about privacy at Afrikonet, please contact us with a thorough description, and we will try to resolve it. Our business changes constantly, and our Privacy Notice will change also. You should check our websites frequently to see recent changes. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we have about you and your account. We stand behind the promises we make, however, and will never materially change our policies and practices to make them less protective of customer information collected in the past without the consent of affected ——customers.
Examples of Information Collected
Information You Give Us When You Use Afrikonet Services
You provide information to us when you:
- search or shop for products or services in our stores;
- add or remove an item from your cart, or place an order through or use Afrikonet Services;
- provide information in Your Account(and you might have more than one if you have used more than one email address or mobile number when shopping with us) or Your Profile ;
- upload your contacts;
- provide information in your Account, or any other account we make available that allows you to offer goods, or services to Afrikonet customers;
- offer your products or services on or through Afrikonet Services;
- communicate with us by phone, email, or otherwise;
- complete a questionnaire, a support ticket, or a contest entry form;
- upload or stream images, videos or other files to Afrikonet Drive, or other Afrikonet Services.
- compile Watchlists, Wish Listsor other gift registries:
- participate in Discussion Boards or other community features;
- provide and rate reviews
- specify a Special Occasion Reminder; or
- employ Product Alerts , such as Available to Order
As a result of those actions, you might supply us with such information as:
- identifying information such as your name, address, and phone numbers;
- payment information;
- your age;
- your location information;
- your IP address;
- content of reviews and emails to us;
- personal description and photograph in Your Profile;
- images and videos collected or stored in connection with Afrikonet Services;
- information and documents regarding identity, and driver’s license numbers
- business registration and financial information;
- credit history information; and
Examples of the information we collect and analyze include:
- the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the internet;
- login, email address, and password;
- the location of your device or computer;
- purchase and content use history, which we sometimes aggregate with similar information from other customers to create features like Top Sellers;
- the full Uniform Resource Locator (URL) clickstream to, through, and from our websites, including date and time; products and content you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, and page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs);
- phone numbers used to call our customer service number; and
- images or videos when you shop in Afrikonet.sl Services.
We may also to collect browsing, usage, or other technical information.
Information from Other Sources
Examples of information we receive from other sources include:
- updated delivery and address information from our carriers or other third parties, which we use to correct our records and deliver your next purchase or communication more easily;
- account information, purchase or redemption information, and page-view information from some merchants with which we operate co-branded businesses or for which we provide technical, fulfillment, advertising, or other services;
- information about your interactions with products and services offered by our subsidiaries;
- search results and links, including paid listings (such as Sponsored Links);
- credit history information from credit bureaus, which we use to help prevent and detect fraud and to offer certain credit or financial services to some customers.
Information You Can Access
Examples of information you can access through Afrikonet Services include:
- status of recent orders
- your complete order history;
- personally identifiable information (including name, email, password);
- payment settings (including payment card information, promotional certificate and gift card balances, and 1-Click settings);
- email notification settings (including Product Availability Alerts, Delivers, Special Occasion Reminders and newsletters);
- recommendations and the products you recently viewed that are the basis for recommendations (including Recommended for You and Improve Your Recommendations);
- shopping lists and gift registries (including Wish Lists and Registries);
- content that you recently viewed;
- Your Profile (including your product Reviews, Recommendations, Reminders and personal profile);
- If you are a vendor, you can access your account and other information, and adjust your communications preferences, by updating your